Though they appear flat to an untrained eye, the flat roofs often seen on commercial buildings aren’t actually flat. Instead, they’re called low slope roofs and have a slope of a quarter-inch for every foot (2 percent). These roofs can be made of a few different materials, each with their own pros and cons. This post will teach you more about the different low slope roof materials in Brooklyn, NY and how to choose the right material for your roof:
- Built up: Low slope roofs were traditionally constructed using asphalt or coal tar that’s built up in multiple layers. The top layer is then covered with gravel that protects the asphalt from the sun’s UV rays and helps with drainage. These roofs can last up to 50 years without needing to be replaced.
- Single-ply membrane: This roofing material is broken down into three categories—rubber (EPDM), thermal plastic (TPO) and plastic (PVC). EPDM is the oldest membrane option and is relatively easy to patch and repair in the event of a leak. TPO and PVC are melted together during installation, basically eliminating the possibility of a leak. You can expect single-ply membrane roofs to last for about 20 years.
- Monolithic sprayed foam: As the name implies, this roofing system is made of foam that’s protected with a thin coating that blocks UV rays. These roofs don’t have any seams and are easy to apply as long as you have all of the right equipment. Though you may need to reapply the foam in certain places, foam roofs can last anywhere from 10 to 15 years.
Which one is right for you?
The choice for your roof ultimately comes down to your budget and how much work you want to put into your roof. If you want the most bang for your buck, we recommend using asphalt for your low slope roof. With their 50-year lifespan, built-up roofs provide worry-free protection for the foreseeable future. Additionally, they can be put up without any professional assistance, as long as you have the basic skills to accomplish the task.
Buy your materials from us!
If you opt to go the built-up route, be sure to buy your low slope roof materials in Brooklyn, NY from Luisi Building Materials Company, Inc. Here are the reasons our customers turn to us for all of their building projects:
- Helpful associates: You don’t need to go through your whole roof construction project alone when you shop with us Our knowledgeable team members can help answer any questions you might have.
- Long-lasting materials: A low slope roof won’t last its full 50 years if you start with shoddy materials. Regardless of the material you need, you can trust that it’ll stand the test of time when you buy it from us.
With summer just around the corner, now is the perfect time to start planning out your roofing project! Come into our showroom today to check out our vast selection of low slope roof materials in Brooklyn, NY.
Categorised in: Roofing Materials
This post was written by Writer